International Address Formats & Mailing Tips
December 17, 2018
For cost-effective mailings with successful rates of delivery, accurate international address formatting is essential. If the address is not understandable or correct, your item may not reach the intended recipient.
Each country has its own set of standards and addressing requirements – as a general rule, we recommend the following address formats for your international and Canadian mailings:
Here are more tips to follow when addressing your international mail:
- Use Roman letters and Arabic numerals, with 10-12pt font size.
- Hint: Avoid script and narrow fonts.
- Use all capital letters.
- Always print the country of destination on the last, or bottom line of the address.
- Hint: Country name must be written in full (no abbreviations) and in capital letters.
- If possible, the address should have no more than five lines.
- Addresses must always be written in English – foreign languages will not be accepted.
- Hint: Addresses written in a foreign language, must bear an interline translation in English.
- Understand and comply with the recommendations of the postal authorities you are sending to and mailing from. Click here to learn more about USPS’s regulations per country.
When sending your mail to international addresses, it’s important to ensure your mailings meet every requirement. Follow these tips, and you can expect a smooth delivery process for your mail.
Still unsure how your addresses should be formatted or looking for specific information about individual countries? We’re here to help you.